October 31, 2011

The Great Zucchini Bread Experiment...

One of my favorite things about late summer/early fall is the "harvest" or in my case picking through whatever my parents either haven't eaten or are sicking of eating from their annual garden. My favorite is snagging an over grown zucchini that isn't good for anything but making baked goods with (or slicing it up, battering it and frying it... but that's a whole other post). So back to Bread... I'm a huge fan of making quick breads like banana bread or zucchini bread mostly cause they're easy. No yeast to kill, or waiting for it to rise hoping you didn't screw it up and kneading bread sucks. I'm all about the mix and bake variety. This time though I decided to try a new recipe and compare it to my good ole trusty one. so compare.


the first is from my good friend Betty Crocker, the other a little more fancy. Major difference in the second is the sour cream and orange zest oh and the call for a "topping" that I nixed. Anyhoo I gathered my ingredients.

ha! I realized It's practically an ad for the "Great Value" brand... you're welcome Wal-Mart

and went to work. I mixed up separate batches of both recipes and once in the pans you could tell the difference by the color variation. Quick tip... aside from greasing and flouring the pans I lined the bottoms with a strip of parchment paper to ensure they didn't stick when removing them from the pans. best trick ever. 

not the greatest picture I realize but one side the batter is darker then the other
once baked up you could see the difference a little better. 

the mini loaf pan is one of my favorites right next to my mini cupcake pan
after about an hour I had this...

 
After trying slices of each you could tell a few differences. The Orange scented bread really did smell like oranges and it was dare you say more "moist" then its Betty Crocker counterpart. I think Betty cooked up better and was a sturdier loaf but all in all they were both good and I would use either recipe again. I wish I had more user input, maybe done more of a taste test lol, but lets be honest I don't know many people in Logan. The day after I made the bread I did head to Salt Lake for a few days and brought some with me for my family and a friend (Jen- you never did tell me which you liked best lol) but I think they were just stoked to get baked goods that deciding which was better wasn't their first priority... eating it was. If anyone wants to know more info on the recipes etc. just hit me up I'm happy to pass it along... 

No comments:

Post a Comment