August 7, 2012

It's a Pinterest Project!

So I finally joined Pinterest. I sorta refused to join while in the midst of wedding planning because I knew with the magnitude of information and ideas out there I would never get anything done and so many weddings were beginning to look the same because of Pinterest I wanted mine to be different, also I figured if I didn't look I could think that the ideas I came up with were totally original and all my own instead of finding out that someone back east (or where ever) already came up with them. So now since I have some time on my hands I figured I'd give it a whirl. Yep its addicting, yep you can lose hours pinning or going through boards, this I all knew but I have decided that if I am going to spend time pinning then I can spend equal time doing. So here it is my first Pinterest Project. I took this pin and figured how hard could it be...




I wasn't a fan of the colors, and having a carry-over obsession with gold spray paint I knew I could make one that I love. 

I first started by scouring our lawn for branches, we have two VERY large trees that are always dropping something for me to rake up, so it wasn't long before I had a nice little pile that I separated into sizes: small, medium and large.


After that I started to snap them and lay them out in the shape of a heart. I pretty much eyeballed it but making a paper template to lay them over probably would have made it a lot easier. After some trial and error I got this.
  

my sticks weren't perfectly straight but I used the curves to my advantage plus it adds to the "rustic" nature right? :) so here is where the tricky part is... wiring them together. Now I think if I would have had the original Pinterest pin handy it would have been easier (not that there were instructions but the picture is worth any written explanation) What I did was mark with a sharpie a dot on each stick running down the side that lined up so I would know where to wrap the wire to keep the shape intact. I used a light weight floral wire that I had stashed in my "craft crap" and just started coiling the wire around each stick.


a few wires, curse words and broken branches later I ended up with this master piece.


At this point of could have stopped the green wire didn't look too bad against the natural wood but where is the fun in that... so I set down a plastic sheet and got to work. I opted to prime it first with a spray primer, and then actually painted it white and then finally hit it with the gold.


After a few coats and dry time later I tied it up to one of the unused branches using some ribbon (actually the only thing I bought for this project since I wanted white ribbon and didn't have any amongst my many dozens of spools) and Voila!


I am more then happy with it considering I was kinda winging it. I'm not sure where I'm going to hang it so for now it's hanging on our weathered looking garage, that I kinda love the look of.



Pretty cute don't ya think! so there it is... my first official Pinterest Project. Done in a day, paid $3 for ribbon and still had time to make dinner :) 

Happy Pinning!
(you can follow me here or clicking the follow me on Pinterest button on the top right ------->)

xxoo
Adria







1 comment: