March 8, 2017

Dinner: "Plan A" Tuscan Brick Chicken with Charred Lemons and Gorgonzola Gnocchi


So I finally pulled out the intended dinner from the other night. It was a pretty easy recipe from My homegirl Chrissy's book (seriously buy it, it's worth it). So it sounded a little intimidating and I may have bought a cast iron pan just so I could cook this and I happened to have some random bricks in my garage so I think thats what sealed it for me (Don't worry I washed the bricks and then triple wrapped them in foil). The recipe for the chicken is as follows:

John's Tuscan Brick Chicken with Charred Lemons (PS John Legend could make me chicken ANYDAY)

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons very finely minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Grated zest of 2 lemons, plus 2 skin-on lemons, quartered
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken leg quarters
2 tablespoons canola oil
Special equipment ? 2 bricks ($1 at Home Depot)

In a bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, sage, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, the pepper, and lemon zest. Pat the chicken dry and place it in a baking dish. Rub the herb mixture all over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. 
Double-wrap the bricks in a heavy-duty foil (this is your workout for the day). Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the canola oil, then add the chicken, skin-side down, and weight it down with the bricks. (If they don't all fit comfortably, use 2 pans, or cook in batches.) Cook, without moving the chicken, for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the underside is crisped and mahogany brown (don't lift it, which means be a more patient person than me). Remove the bricks, flip the chicken, weight it down with the bricks again, and continue to cook until the underside is browned and the meat is cooked through, 7 to 9 minutes. (If the skin on the first side seemed too dark, reduce the heat to medium. To check if the meat is done, pierce the thickest part with a knife; if the juices that come out have no pink, it's done)
Remove the chicken from the pan, add the quartered lemons, and sear until slightly charred and caramelized, about 2 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with more salt to taste and the charred lemons for squeezing.   

My Tips: I would def make this again.... but I would probably just use the thighs or even skin-on chicken breasts, Leg quarters are fine and all but I feel like they are more for show. Practically speaking I would have prob got the same amount of meat off a thigh than the boney combo. Also I don't like the idea of cutting the meat to check for doneness... if it's not and you put the brick back on it you are squeezing out all the juicy goodness... with dark meat it's not as bad as if it were a chicken breast... but why do it. Use a meat thermometer if you can.

yep I dug this out of the trash, just to take a pic
The gnocchi was kinda a cheat. Good old Trader Joes for the win. Honestly I saw Rachel Ray make gnocchi from scratch on her show the other day and the motivated part of me was like "Hey! I can do that" and then the realistic side kicked in and was like "hey! you have a bag of that in the freezer!" the Freezer won and I''m not mad at it. I did sprinkle a little fresh cracked pepper and fresh parsley over it cause I'm fancy like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment